Recipe source: myRecipes.com
Day 4 Recipe. Enjoy the shellfish and bacon with limited vegetables drained of cooking broth. For Day 6 and Beyond enjoy with broth 1 cup servings.
This recipe skips the tedious steps and hard-to-find spices of traditional gumbos without compromising any of the flavor. Serve over rice.
Makes 6 servings
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 pound large raw shrimp, cleaned
- 1 pound fresh or frozen crabmeat
- 1 10-ounce box frozen okra, thawed and sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
a large skillet, over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. With a
slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
Discard all but a thin coating of fat from the skillet. Add the celery,
onion, green pepper, and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium
heat, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, about 10
minutes. Spoon the vegetables into the cooker and add the broth,
tomatoes (with their liquid), Worcestershire, salt, and thyme. Cover
and cook on low heat for 4 hours, or on high for 2 hours. Add the
shrimp, crabmeat, and okra, and cook 1 hour longer on low heat or 1/2
hour longer on high.
Tip: Once the ingredients are in the pot and the slow cooker is simmering, don't lift the lid. Heat and steam escape. If you do, you'll lose an estimated 20 minutes of cooking time.
- Calories: 273 (27% from fat)
- Fat: 8g (sat 2g)
- Protein: 38mg
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 204mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 1757mg
- Calcium: 222mg